Friday, August 27, 2010

Disheartened

I was at our favorite local grocery store recently, and one of the employees there looked REALLY familiar to me.  I tried to figure out if I knew her and eventually we just laughed and she told me that she had recently moved from another state.  It's a state, in fact, that we have been thinking of moving to, so I said that and then she gasped.

"Don't move there!  Do not.  With those beautiful children, stay far, far away."

What!??!  I had no idea what she was talking about, especially when she mentioned my kids.  Well, come to find out, she felt like the town has a great reputation for openness and progressiveness, however, she found it to be very racist and antagonistic.  She said "I'm from New York.  I can take it like the best of them! But I was depressed the ENTIRE TIME I lived there.  There's no sun.  There's no open-mindedness.  I was miserable.  MISERABLE.  I moved here and I'm so happy.  I've never been happier.  No problems.  It was that horrible city that made me like that."

Hmm... well that's certainly NOT a resounding endorsement of that area.  Made me sad.  And a little happy, since I don't want to move anyway.  :)  ha!

3 comments:

Meadowlark said...

Remember the man who was asked "What are the people like where you're from" and he replied "they're difficult and hardhearted" and he was told "They'll be the same where you're going" and the other man who said "they're wonderful and caring" and was told "they'll be the same where you're going"....

only YOU can decide how to live in the place you end up.

Sorry. kinda outta left field, but I'm sincere ;)

KD said...

No! That's totally not out of left field. You make a good point... It was equally confounding as I thought about it more because we know an interracial couple that lives in that town and they haven't said anything like that to us about their experiences there.

Granted, they have talked a lot about other crap, but there is crap everywhere, right? :)

Meadowlark said...

There's also the theory that I utterly DESPISE the place I live in now and it's not that I hate "everywhere", but this place is hip and trendy and city and I'm just a poor dumb farmgirl who HATES the city life. But it sounds like some deeper issues than me and my "Green Acres" difficulties. :)

Good luck with it... I would hate to have to move again, even if I do dislike where I'm at. (dang Caly fore nee ans)