Wednesday, February 2, 2011

New Job Title

Recently I was talking to a neighbor who knows enough about us to know that my husband is around when he "shouldn't" be and gone when he "shouldn't" be.  In the course of the conversation he asked "So, is your husband a student?" to which I listlessly replied "No....."
[and now which lie do I go with?  The "garbage collector" lie?  This is a good one because usually no one knows what to say to that and the conversation dies immediately.  Or the "public employee" line?  That's a bad one, people say "What department does he work for? Does he know [my long lost cousin/best friend/mother-in-law]?" Or should I go with the "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" line?  sigh...]
I settled for "No.... He's not a student.  He's just a loser."

I sure hope my husband never finds out that I said that, but gee..... It sure stopped the conversation in it's tracks.  lol.

8 comments:

Simply Complicated said...

Omigosh I love it! Yes that is always a question so hard to answer. It was frustrating for ME when were house shopping because my husband was sooo picky about our neighborhood but we couldn't afford anything in the "nice" neighborhoods. Finally found a small house on a nice street and snatched it up. Glad we did - now he drives a take-home squad and it has to sit in our driveway :-(

Meadowlark said...

now THAT is FUNNY!!!!

Anonymous said...

hahaha Thats fantastic

CAcopwife said...

I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket if the neighbors start getting curious!

MrsRobbieD said...

Priceless!!

mrs. fuzz said...

Hahaha! Now he'll be known in the neighborhood as "that dead beat husband and father".

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha... I would so be telling on you!!! Your awesome! I just tell em mine is a garbage collector and I answer phones for the city 24 hr phone line!
-Dispatcher

BunnyO said...

LOVE THIS! You made Sprite come out of my nose!!! My husband always says he's either a musician or unemployed. You're right, it certainly raises an eyebrow! You made my day!!! Best response EVER :)