Monday, June 14, 2010

brownie banana muffins

 Here's the recipe for the muffins I made yesterday.  They made exactly 12 regular size muffins and were pretty tasty straight out of the oven.  I was pleased with how they tasted and was SO excited I was going to make more, with a tweak or two.  Sheesh!  I tried one at room temp this morning, and all I have to say is, yuck.  yuck, yuck, and more yuck.  But the kids love them.  They think they are getting something "amazing" and chocolate (since I don't normally let them eat chocolate) and they are all for them.  But I am still going to work on them.  My Notes:
  • Subbed flax meal for oil, next time try applesauce or prunes
  • Added splashes of vanilla
  • Use more bananas ~ at least 3
  • Bake about 17 minutes in my oven

Brownie Banana Muffin Recipe

  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons (aluminum free) baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ cup cocoa powder
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 2 bananas, mashed (or 3)
  • ½ cup soymilk, almond milk, or sesame milk (rice milk)
  • ¼ cup safflower oil (or 3/4 c. flax meal, or 1/4 c. applesauce or prunes)
  • ¾ cup raw honey or natural sugar substitute (I ran out so I used about 1/3 c. honey and a few shakes of brown sugar)
  • 1/3 chopped nuts (not at our house!!)
Preparation Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cocoa powder. In a smaller mixing bowl combine the egg, milk, oil, bananas and honey together. Add all at once to dry ingredients. Fold in the chopped nuts. Fill paper muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes. Makes 12 delicious muffins.

Read this note about subbing applesauce for oil, if you're interested.

No comments: